Sunday, October 4, 2009





It took me forever to see the movie, "Apocalypto", the name of which I still can't say without stumbling over it at least two times. The subtitles didn't put me off--I mean, I am a reader--but I knew with the subject matter it would be gory and I freely admit I'm a punk when it comes to blood...and knives...and sacrifice...But once I started watching it, I was completely entranced. Not just by the cinematic beauty, but by the story and the main character, Jaguar Paw.

As a lover of Alpha men, Jaguar Paw inspired quite a few dreams that night! Phew! Even with a bone in his lip and being umm...dental-challenged...he blew my mind! To see the evolution of a Beta man to an Alpha when his family and way of life was threatened won me over with the speed of...I don't know...a jaguar. Wily, cunning, strong and determined, he escaped his captors, led them on a chase through the rain forests where he picked them off one-by-one. And what was his goal, his motivation? To save his wife and son before the enemy or the elements found them first. The love that drove him made me not only cheer him on, but adore him!

Rudy Youngblood played Jaguar Paw in "Apocalypto". I'd never heard of him before so of course I had to do a little investigating. And was soon as impressed by him as I was by his character in the movie. A young Native American actor, he has broken ground and found a foothold in an acting world that is notoriously tough to crack. And he has stayed true to his culture, embracing it when the field he seeks to conquer would suggest he "tone it down". I watched a video of him dancing in full Native regalia during a celebration. Yes, it was beautiful, but there's something to be said about a man who possesses that much confidence and pride that he can lose himself in the tradition, beauty and magic of his culture. It's sexy.

So, because of your awe-inspiring portrayal of the warrior, Jaguar Paw, and your unselfconscious celebration of who you are, Rudy Youngblood, you are...Hawtie of the Month!

**To view the video mentioned above of Rudy Youngblood, click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxkLtuRaUs. Enjoy**

10 comments:

  1. Hi Naima, just come from Nina's blog and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the excerpt for your upcoming release. I totally agree about your Hawtie, he is mesmerizing to watch.

    Just signed up for your newsletter today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cathy!
    Wow! Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt! That's so awesome to hear. And, isn't Jaguar Paw/Rudy Youngblood just swoon-worthy? LOL! I just regressed to my Johanna Lindsey days!! And can I say thank you again for joining the newsletter?? I certainly appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your choice, Naima! Very well said, and i can totally get what you're saying about finding it very appealing to see a man's confidence shine through in celebrating his heritage. Nice pick for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog! I am so very excited for you in all your work and this is just another extension of it!!

    You rock....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jessica!
    Thank you! He's been a fantasy of mine for a while now. I'm glad I finally get to share him...for a little while at least. Then he's all mine, mine, mine! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Christine!
    LOL! Now THAT'S a compliment! Thank you so much! You're so cool...!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite movies! I actually forgot I was reading subtitles it was so engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful? Becoming so engrossed in a movie that you don't even notice you're reading it is a good mark of how great it is! Thanks for stopping by, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen this movie, but it sounds like my kind of story. Rudy Youngblood definitely fits the Hawtie title. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Naima,
    I got a chance to check out your guest blog on Nina's site. Great,informative, and most importantly entertaining interview. I love your site. You are an excellent writer. It's always great getting to do something you love each and every day. Peace and Blessings to you, Crystal

    ReplyDelete